Monday, November 8, 2010

Water Etching

I have been planning for some time to post some photos that show the water etching process that I have adapted as a signature element in my metal clay work. The example I've shown here is called Ice-Fire. I have combined both water etching and a ranged color patina to create a surreal one-of-a-kind pendant with a multi-hued snake chain.

The masking process is slow and painstaking. It takes many coats to build it up:



This is the raw etched version, minus the mask:



After firing, a layer of cool gray patina was added:



Then, the color!



This is the final product. Hello, Ice-Fire. :)





From the description: This pendant shows the clashing of ice and fire with a swirling, time-worn look created out of fine silver. It represents the elements water and fire and continues my line of explorations into the elements. The shaded areas of dark patina have been given a color cast to further exemplify the Ice-Fire concept. It ranges from hints of crimson, to dusky plum, to periwinkle, to dark royal blue.

Ice-Fire is part of my Elements sub-series and will go live with my Yule collection later this week! :)

2 comments:

Aimee Diane Designs said...

Fascinating and great explanation! I've always wanted to learn how to work with metal clay.

Evermore Organics said...

Your work continues to amaze and inspire me. I loved seeing how it goes from one form to another. Also, I must own one of your wire-wrapped necklaces. Gorgeous stuff, and its very obvious that a lot of care went into their creation.