Saturday, June 5, 2010

Waking Dreams

Oftentimes I am visited by random yet very vivid dreams, all clustered together in a way that leaves me wondering if I should be gleaning some sort of greater message from all the strange story lines and imagery. It is during these dream times, though, that I find my creations to be more vibrant. That is not to say that I dream up designs; rather, the thickness and color of my dreams tends to put me into a sort of state where the hustle and bustle of daily life does not interfere with the flow of ideas from my head to paper, whether that paper is a nice smooth sheet of parchment or my jewelry sketch book. On my jewelry table, it translates into a finished piece that just seems to be more than intended and more than the sum of its parts.


Purple Reflection


A favorite artist of mine, Stephanie Law, recently talked about waking dreams. She mentioned the way artists sometimes struggle over and over to capture the essence of their artistic vision. It can be the sight, taste, smell, or some other nuance of emotion or thought that we, as artists, seek to elicit in our work. Capturing the elusive spark of an idea, and having the tools and skills at hand to best convey it, is my ultimate goal as an artist. It is why I am constantly evolving my creative work. It is why I do not limit myself to only one jewelry technique, and it is why I'm not only satisfied with only ink and colored pencils even though they have taken over my heart. Artistic growth feeds my creative spark.

While on a long drive in the darkest wee hours of the morning, I had some amazing new ideas come to me which take up three full pages in my jewelry sketch book. These ideas are something which will take time to develop, but which I feel will be well worth the time and effort while I finish studying up on a new material and technique that I've had my eye on since late last year.

Yesterday I was asked to create an original art piece for display in the art gallery at the front of Dark Delicacies. I'll have more on that later!

No comments: