Wednesday, March 24, 2010

On Art, Revisited

So much of art, to me, lies in the way a piece can affect or inspire the emotions of the viewer. I don't mean severe swings from laughing to crying, though that is certainly possible. Rather, I think of art as successful if it can invoke subtle shifts of mood or act as an impetus toward a new thought, discovery, or inspiration.

When I can glimpse something in someone's creation that opens up my mind, that sparks the emotions or an understanding of the subject matter; when I suddenly find a long lost memory stirred to life again because of something I am viewing; when I find myself transported, even for a moment, as I am caught up in viewing the flow of an ink line or sparkle of light off of a faceted gemstone...that is when I feel it rises to being art.

No comments: