Sunday, March 21, 2010

New Work and Wire Settings!

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I had some stragglers that didn't make it into my spring collection. I wanted to spend some extra time focusing on learning how to wire-wrap a setting a for a stone pendant. The truth is, I never thought I'd be able to do it. About 3-4 years ago I bought a wire-wrapped seraphinite pendant and was fascinated by it. I used to turn it over and over in my hands, using my eyes to trace the lines of the wire to find out where they came from and where they went. It seemed so simple, yet some reading and experimenting had me believing it was nearly impossible. Turns out, I just needed to start at square one and work up. I can't say it's easy, but it's definitely not impossible!

I used a lesson by Earrings by Erin to make the two Thunderclap settings that are in this update, and now that I have a grasp on some ways to secure a stone in snug armatures, I feel like I can adapt things and branch out into a few experiments of my own. So, there will be more, but not without a lot of practice. :)

Here are some of my favorite items from this update, from L to R: Thunderclap, La Luna, Radiant, Majestic, Strands of the Ocean, Ocean Gypsy.







You can view the rest of the new work at Elements & Artifacts. Stay tuned at my Facebook Fan Page, because I'm announcing a contest there this week!

1 comment:

Mary Ellen said...

You are amazing! Everything you make is unbelievable!! Love all your work!